Sint-Gilliskerk

This street bumps into Saint Giles’s Church in the heart of the tranquil quarter of Saint-Giles’s. Initially a chapel, this house of God was upgraded to a parish church in 1258. In spite of its interior in Gothic revival style and its superb paintings, the church takes on the appearance of a simple, sturdy village church. Don’t be misled. In and around the church countless famous painters were buried, such as Hans Memling (d.1494), in his time the best paid painter, Lanceloot Blondeel (d.1561) and Pieter Pourbus (d.1564). Their graves and the cemetery may have disappeared, but their artist’s soul still hovers in the air.